Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I am in Memphis to give fish a break

I AM IN MEMPHIS.

This is why:

“… global warming is likely to spur the disappearance of trout and salmon from as much as 18 to 38 percent of their current habitat by the year 2090. (and) …habitat loss for individual species could be as high as 17 percent by 2030, 34 percent by 2060 and 42 percent by 2090” http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/ntrout.asp

I'm staying at a quasi-commune church hostel community: PIlgrim House, where Flo, the young woman who greeted me, a student at Memphis College of Art, already knows all about Memphis Social for May, that I'm here for to start Fish Story and Crosstown Arts, where I'll present tomorrow evening. I asked Bradley, the young man who helped me get settled if people were concerned about climate change here. he said, "yes, quite." Good.

I have rehearsed my pitch: I am an ecological artist, part of a team with scientists to look at how communities can link up bioregional climate change issues, focusing on fish.

For Crosstown Arts, I assembled 20 slides for tomorrow night:

Using webcasts as leverage, workshops, GIS analysis and visuals, our goal is to help effect environmental  restoration. We believe Memphis is at the center of the world of climate change in North America, at a crossroads.

No comments:

Post a Comment