Sunday, February 17, 2013

Connecting dots between fish, activist art and social networking

Fish don't do FB.

But FB can connect the dots between global issues with globalized conversations in which fish must have a voice. Since I've been doing FB, I've been experimenting with how to manipulate the assemblage of time and space to tell a story. I was esp pleased with today's story of tragedy and courage around the world. The way I see it, military or police violence against civilians or oppressed populations, and violence against women and dissenters are the same as assaults on the environment that are motivating me to do Fish Story. The "answer" is in allowing co-habitation between different points of view, urbanism and nature. That is harder work that sustaining the status quo but as I wrote in one of my captions, it is that very work of displacing one set of data for another, that permits a closed system to open.

This is the first half of my FB page this morning, which contrasts Michael Kimmelman's article on the Netherlands example of allowing sea water into their country to save their land with a petition about and news that two of the convicted Pussy Riot musicians, Maria Alyokhina, 24, and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, 22 were in physical danger. I captioned the first article as a remarkable show of enlightenment and the second as a a remarkable lack of enlightenment.
http://act.watchdog.net/petitions/2390?r=75041.CLPzpS

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/arts/design/flood-control-in-the-netherlands-now-allows-sea-water-in.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

Then below those two references, I reported on a series of sessions I attended at the College Art Association conference conflating ethics and activism internationally:

This album of twenty images reported on work by artists in Cairo, Egypt resisting military actions, Dread Scott resisting police violence in the USA and Jenny Marketou resisting sexist oppression in Ramallah, among other works of resistance and protest.

Then with individual captions for the images inside the album, I could tell a more detailed series of stories:






No comments:

Post a Comment